Modern, sleek, and trending glass garage doors come in a wide variety of styles.
If you are looking to make a statement, glass garage doors are for you.
In this article, we will help you understand the pros and cons of owning this type of garage door.
While these doors can be beautiful and make a statement about your home, they also require more maintenance than other types of garage doors. Listed below are some of the main cons of glass garages.
- Energy efficiency is low. In this modern era, we usually seek the most energy-efficient devices and products. Glass garage doors are not one of them. Even the best-insulated glass garage doors cannot compete with other materials out there for saving you energy.
In hot environments, glass doors can magnify the sun’s light and cause your garage to heat up. If this is the case for you, consider a mirror or tinted glass in order to keep the sun from heating up your space too much.
- Glass can break. Materials like fiberglass or steel will flex in or form a dent when hit. If hit, glass garage doors can crack and lead to a costly repair. So keep in mind what happens around your garage doors.
Fortunately, these doors are made of tempered glass so if they are hit they will crack like a car windshield instead of shattering into tiny pieces.
- They get dirty fast. Most garage doors do not need to be cleaned often. However, glass garage doors collect dirt fast. Dust in the air, hard water, or even dirt from the ground being splashed up during a rainstorm can all collect on the glass surface. Be prepared to clean them with some soap and water every so often to keep them looking new.
- Costly to build, install, and deliver. Every garage door is different and so the exact cost of these will differ for each job, but a good rule of thumb is to expect to pay double what you would for a regular steel fiberglass door. Ultimately, you'll want to decide whether the extra investment is worth it.
What are the benefits? Why would someone want a glass garage door? Here are some of the top benefits of owning a glass garage door.
- Glass garage doors are versatile and can complement many home styles. At first glance, you may think that these doors would only look good on a modern-looking home. Thanks to a wide array of finishes, colors, and patterns, glass doors can look great on many styles of homes.
- Easily increase the curb appeal and resale value of your home. A garage door makes up about 40% of your home’s face. A glass garage door adds a sophisticated look that few other designs or materials can offer.
Studies show that a new garage door can increase your home’s value by up to 4%. The average selling price of a house in 2021 was $389,400. A new garage door could increase the average home's value by $15,576. Do not underestimate a good-looking glass garage door.
- Make a cramped space feel open by letting in more natural light. One of the most obvious and important benefits of glass garage doors is that they let in more natural light without having to be open. Don’t want people seeing in? Tint or frost the glass for some added privacy.
Now that you understand the pros and cons of glass garage doors, you can carefully consider what you want to do with your space and know if glass garage doors are right for you. If you want more natural light, a higher home value, and an increase in your home’s WOW factor, then glass garage doors might be for you.
Reach out to us for a free quote today.
Utah’s Best Garage Doors
June 2, 2022
What's Wrong With My Garage Door? [Garage Troubleshooting Guide]
Are you experiencing garage door issues? Then, you're in the right place! We'll walk you through some of the most common garage door problems and solutions to fix them.
June 2, 2022
How to epoxy your garage floor in 5 easy steps [2022 Guide]
Are you interested in epoxy coating your garage floor but feel intimidated by the process? This blog post will show you that epoxy coating your garage floor can be a simple process.
May 26, 2022
Modern Garage Doors of 2022 that Will Change the Way you Think about Your Home
Garage doors come in many different styles and materials and it can be hard to know which ones are right for your home. They are always changing, and Monarch Door is committed to staying on top of the latest garage door trends and garage door styles. Here are the latest trends and styles of 2022
May 26, 2022
Don’t Choose the Wrong Garage Door
Choosing a garage door can be a time-consuming process, but it's well worth the effort as the right garage door can make or break a homes' aesthetic. Here are a few reasons why choosing the right garage door for your home is so important in today's market.